All Maine kids are at risk for underage drinking. As a parent, there are things
you can do in your community to keep youth from underage drinking. Here is a
checklist that can get you started. If you need more information there are additional
resources listed in the Resources & Links section.
- My local convenience store and restaurants routinely checks IDs of young-looking patrons.
- When I see a clerk or waiter checking an ID, I thank them for their effort.
- My local stores and restaurants display alcohol and alcohol posters above eye-level of younger children.
- I've asked my local store and restaurant to refrain from creating alcohol displays that promote young people who are only having fun because they are drinking.
- I support local law enforcement when they prosecute adults who furnish to underage youth.
- If I know where underage drinking is occurring I will inform local law enforcement.
- I will support policies and laws that keep alcohol away from underage users.
- I will write a letter to the editor encouraging other parents to join me in working to prevent underage drinking.